Sunday, January 4, 2009

Module 3 - HTML Task

For me this was a fun task. I love HTML! :)

My AWESOME HTML Web PageI have been dealing with HTML for many years now and I just really love building things with HTML. I wouldn't say I am completely proficient with HTML and I'm definitely no coding pro but the sense of achievement I get from building a page is very real. In fact one of the reasons I decided to return to study was to get a qualification and better organise my knowledge in a more formal manner.

When I first started dabbling with the internet and HTML, tables and images was the way to build a page and all the presentation was done in HTML. Over the years though this has changed, and HTML has become the simple building block for information on the web, the framework of the page if you will.

Now we have separation of structure and presentation through the use of HTML for structure and CSS for presentation. Hopefully as more and more developers embrace this and other web standards, hopefully we will have less browser cross compatibility issues as outlined in fellow Net11 student Brown Boy's blog entry: Module 3 - HTML and Standards.

Of course knowing these underlying frameworks is not needed for successful communication if you plan to use a cookie cutter blog sewrvice such as Blogger. Though if you plan to run your own software or customise your blog by sprucing up your current template, then it is essential that you build an understanding of these coding langauges.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried playing around with the CSS/HTML on your blog? With your experience you could have lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Peter,

    I have thought about it and would like to get in an "fix" a couple of things. Yet time is a precious commodity for me at this stage. Hopefully once I am back from my honeymoon I will be able to "play" with a few things that have been bugging me over the last couple of months.

    ReplyDelete