Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Net11 Reflections Week Four

Before this week (and year) gets away from me I thought maybe a word or two about last week was in order.

After my comments last week about managing my time online more efficiently, I got smacked by the on coming train that is Christmas. So while I had every intention of getting more uni work done and being productive in general, this wasn't the actual case. In fact, I had less time on the net in general. May I point out though this was not necessarily a bad thing! :)

So while I didn't get a chance to set in place life changing program, I did have plenty of time to think about how exactly I will approach this seemingly mammoth task. And after much thought, I have come up with cunningly simple plan: Before I sit down in front of my Mac, I will state out aloud to myself what it is I want to achieve. I will then also write this down on paper for later reference. In this manner I put accountability on my session and upon myself*. By placing accountability upon my time on the net hope that I will focus on the task at hand and procrastinate less.

Of course I will do this regardless of if the session is for study, work or just surfin' the interwebs!

With the little time that I did have to spend on course work, module two revisited some interesting areas of my past. I enjoyed the technical aspect of relearning some old tools and protocols such as IRC and Usenet, and discovered some great insight into their impacts on the net and contributions to the world. Also to date the discussions and insights from my fellow students has been inspirational, and I really am looking forward now to where the next couple of months are going to take me. Let the learning continue.

*No really this took much thought on my part.

0 comments:

Post a Comment