Friday, December 12, 2008

Module 1 - File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Task

So to get the obvious out of the way first, CAPITALIZATION MATTERS! Right, now we have done that, let us continue.

To complete this task I was required to login to the Curtin FTP server using the anonymous login. After successfully doing this I was to then check the directory structure and find the readme.txt. From this file I would find the statement in my posts first sentence, this would fill in the blank from the sentence:

"according to the readme file, '_______ MATTERS'".

I thought the word was going to be SIZE, who would of thunk it eh? ;)

FTP or File Transfer Protocol is my main method of transferring data to and from my websites. I use FTP at least once a week with my personal websites uploading files or downloading backups to my local drive. I also use FTP for renaming files and directories and changing permissions if needed. To do this on a Mac I use the absolutely fantastic Yummy FTP from Yummy Software, it's so simple!

I also currently utilise FTP as a distribution method to obtain files from various different websites and business. As a working DJ I have been in the lucky situation to receive promo records from music labels, over the years I have seen this change to the point now where most labels no longer send records or even CD's; they simply point you to their FTP server and you download all the digital files. Much quicker and cost effective. Who said the record labels weren't utilising new distribution methods.

Of course now their are even more advanced methods of transferring electronic media, but that is a subject for another time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment